Get All Articles by: “Jim Burns, Ph.D.”
- Jim Burns, Ph.D.
- Jim Burns is the President of HomeWord and Senior Director of the HomeWord Center for Youth and Family at Azusa Pacific University.
- Making God Visible in Your Family - Part 1
- One of the primary goals parents have for their children is to pass a legacy of faith on to them. Parenting and family expert Dr. Jim Burns talks with best-selling author Philip Yancey about "Making God Visible in Your Home."
- Parents are in the "Protection Business"
- In this SnapShot, Dr. Jim Burns reminds parents that one of our primary jobs is to help our kids learn to discern between what is good for them and what is not.
- The One Thing You Need to Build a Spiritual Legacy
- It’s the most often-quoted passage of Scripture. . .it’s crucial for us, as parents, to impart it to our children. Dr. Jim Burns talks about Deut. 6:4-9, also known as “the Shemah” – why it’s so commonly recited and how it helps our kids become all God wants them to be.
- Understanding the Inner Lives of Men - Part 2
- While doing research for a male character in a novel she was writing, author Shaunti Feldhahn uncovered valuable research about the differences between men and women. Dr. Jim Burns talks with this popular speaker and author about new scientific studies which will help women "Understand the Inner Lives of Men."
- Movies Making a Difference: "Home Run" and "Not Today"
- Two faith-based movies are making a difference at the box office and deserve our support. Pastor and Producer Matthew Cork discusses the role of the Church in battling human trafficking in "Not Today." And Carol Mathews talks about how her desire to make a movie about "Oklahoma and baseball" led to a powerful story of redemption called, "Home Run."
- Is Your Child a Bully?
- This feature encourages parents to honestly look at the behavior of their children to see if they might have a tendency to bully others.
- Movies Making a Difference: "Not Today"
- After a mission trip to India, the congregation at Friends Church in Southern California committed themselves to working to end human trafficking among the Dalits. Pastor Matthew Cork also serves as Executive Producer of a new "Movie Making a Difference" in this battle called, Not Today.
- Keep on Believing in Your Kids
- Dr. Jim Burns reminds parents about the seasonal nature of life - and that many times bad behavior in your children is a stage out of which they'll grow.
- Keys to Successful Stepfamilies - Part 2
- The divorce rate among second and third marriages is considerably higher than for first marriages . . . and a main reason is that the resulting stepfamily really has a hard time "gelling." Dr. Jim Burns talks to author and stepfamily expert Ron Deal about the "Keys to Successful Stepfamilies."
- Keys to Successful Stepfamilies - Part 1
- With an increasing divorce rate in the Church today, more and more Christians are facing the challenge of establishing new "blended families." Dr. Jim Burns talks about to do so with Ron Deal - author of the book, The Successful Stepfamily.
- HomeWord offers practical, biblical answers that help parents, couples and youth workers in over 100 church-based seminars across the U.S. and Canada each year. Bring one of our experts to your church.
- Learn More
- Read and share inspiring stories of how the HomeWord ministry has made an impact on parents and families.
- Read the Real Life Stories
- Check out our Culture Blog for finding the most up-to-date and significant news items shaping today’s youth culture and their influence on kids and parenting.
- Read the Blog