Get All Articles by: “Jim Burns, Ph.D.”
- Jim Burns, Ph.D.
- Jim Burns is the President of HomeWord and Senior Director of the HomeWord Center for Youth and Family at Azusa Pacific University.
- Understanding Your Teenager's Brain
- The only consistent thing about your teenager is . . . Inconsistency! Dr. Jim Burns talks with author and youth expert Mark Oestreicher about practical steps you can take for gaining a better understanding of what is going on inside the mind of your teen.
- Correct the Behavior
- This feature stresses the importance of correcting behavior without crushing character.
- Rethinking Drinking
- Dr. Jim Burns encourages parents to get real about the role alcohol has played in their family history - and make sure it ends there.
- I Don't Get It!
- In this SnapShot, Dr. Jim Burns reminds parents that children will follow our example if we are clear in our explanation.
- A Mom's Influence on a Boy's Journey to Manhood - Part 2
- Moms who respect and admire healthy masculinity can make their boys believe they can grow up to become great men. Dr. Jim Burns continues his discussion on this subject with author Rick Johnson.
- The Power of Being There
- This feature focuses on the benefits of simply being available for our children.
- A Mom's Influence on a Boy's Journey to Manhood - Part 1
- Boys attack life with an exhilarating exuberance - but they still need a parent's guidance to prepare them for adulthood. Dr. Jim Burns talks about this need with Rick Johnson, author of the book, That's My Son.
- A New Awakening for Parents and Families - Part 1
- Too many parents are working extremely hard in hopes of giving their children a happy childhood. Parenting and family expert Dr. Jim Burns talks with author and speaker Dr. Michelle Anthony about practical tips for helping to raise responsible adults instead.
- Anger Management
- Dr. Jim Burns talks to parents about the importance of learning to control our temper with our kids.
- Developing a Faith that Sticks with Our Kids - Part 2
- Many church-going kids are growing up learning "the Gospel of Sin Management" rather than developing a real relationship with the Lord. Dr. Jim Burns continues his conversation with Doug Fields and Dr. Kara Powell about what it takes to create an environment for kids to develop a faith that sticks.
- HomeWord offers practical, biblical answers that help parents, couples and youth workers in over 100 church-based seminars across the U.S. and Canada each year. Bring one of our experts to your church.
- Learn More
- Read and share inspiring stories of how the HomeWord ministry has made an impact on parents and families.
- Read the Real Life Stories
- Check out our Culture Blog for finding the most up-to-date and significant news items shaping today’s youth culture and their influence on kids and parenting.
- Read the Blog