Get All Articles by: “Jim Burns, Ph.D.”
- Jim Burns, Ph.D.
- Jim Burns is the President of HomeWord and Senior Director of the HomeWord Center for Youth and Family at Azusa Pacific University.
- Get Educated About the Drug Culture
- In this SnapShot, Dr. Jim Burns reminds parents that drug use is more common than it was when we were kids - and it's changed a lot since then, too!
- Breaking Free from the "Thin Cage" Part 1
- Constance Rhodes was a top-level college athelete who always thought she was in good shape. But on this special edition of HomeWord, she talks with Dr. Jim Burns how she developed "exercise anorexia" - and the message she now shares with young athletes who may be headed down the same path.
- Thinking About Drinking Before It's Too Late
- Dr. Jim Burns urges parents to take advantage of every opportunity to engage in dialog with their kids about the dangers of alcohol abuse.
- Outrageous Lies We Tell Our Kids - Part 2
- Every parent has been faced with a situation where telling our kids the truth about a reality in life seemed too painful. Parenting and family expert Dr. Jim Burns continues his talk with Dr. Chuck Borsellino on the dangers of letting that happen.
- Real Positive Encouragement
- This features reminds parents that authentic encouragement is of greater value to kids than false praise.
- Outrageous Lies We Tell Our Kids - Part 1
- As parents, we all want what's best for our children. Unfortunately, some times we end up bending the truth a bit to keep from hurting their feelings! Join parenting and family expert Dr. Jim Burns for a discussion with Chuck Borsellino - author of the book, Pinocchio Parenting - as they talk about some of the "Outrageous Lies We Tell Our Kids."
- Raising Kids Requires Full Parental Participation
- In this SnapShot, Dr. Jim Burns provides parents with practical tips for reprioritizing their busy lives.
- Raising a Spiritually Strong Daughter - Part 2
- There are so many negative influences affecting young women today - but it is possible to have a positive influence on them! Dr. Jim Burns continues his discussion with author Susie Shellenberger about "Raising a Spiritually Strong Daughter."
- Tips for Raising Financially-Confident Kids
- For many parents, giving our kids a financial education is an afterthought. Dr. Jim Burns talks with financial expert Mary Hunt about some practical ways for teaching kids how to handle money.
- Make Your Kids "Drug-Proof"
- In this SnapShot, Dr. Jim Burns urges parents to have a "family constitution" discouraging the use of drugs and alcohol.
- HomeWord offers practical, biblical answers that help parents, couples and youth workers in over 100 church-based seminars across the U.S. and Canada each year. Bring one of our experts to your church.
- Learn More
- Read and share inspiring stories of how the HomeWord ministry has made an impact on parents and families.
- Read the Real Life Stories
- Check out our Culture Blog for finding the most up-to-date and significant news items shaping today’s youth culture and their influence on kids and parenting.
- Read the Blog